Our NEXT retreat WILL BE HELD
upcoming Retreat Dates in 2018
2-Day Retreat July 14-15 with Terry Cronin, JDPSN
2-Day Retreat August TBA with Steve Cohen, JDPSN
2-Day Retreat September 15-16 with Paul Majchrzyk, JDPSN
2-Day Retreat October 20-21 with Zen Master Bon Shim
College Retreat November 10 with Zen Master Bon Yeon
Meditation retreats provide a rare opportunity to investigate your life for an extended period of time. Through this investigation, you can more easily access your inherent wisdom and compassion.
We offer a variety of one-day and multi-day retreats. One-day retreats are especially suitable for those who have never participated in a retreat.
We also host retreats for Boston-area college students two times each year; these provide students an opportunity to engage in Zen training in the company of peers.
Multi-day retreats, known as “Yong Maeng Jong Jin” retreats, last two or more days. "Yong Maeng Jong Jin" is a traditional phrase that means “to leap like a tiger while sitting.” Anyone can make this leap and transform their life.
Retreats are held in silence and consist of sitting and walking meditations, bowing, chanting, formal meals, work practice and one-on-one kong-an interviews with a teacher.
You can conveniently register online. Please note that online registration closes at 9 PM on the Thursday prior to the retreat; and for the college retreat at 9 PM on the Friday before the retreat. We cannot accommodate late registration.
If you have any questions, please email Bo-Mi Choi at email@example.com. You may also call the Zen Center office at (617) 576-3229 during office hours Mondays-Thursdays 2-4 PM.
- $65 per day for the general public
- $45 per day for members in good standing in the Kwan Um School of Zen and seniors
- $35 for college students (ID required) and members in good standing in the Kwan Um School of Zen and who have 10 precepts
- 1-Day retreats begin at 9 AM. Newcomers must come to Orientation at 8:00 AM.
- For 2-Day retreats (Yong Maeng Jon Jin), Newcomers must come to Orientation on Saturday or Sunday at 8:00 AM. We strongly advise Newcomers to join the retreat at 8:00 AM (as opposed to the night before) as Orientation will provide the necessary information and instructions on our style of practice.
- Previous Retreatants: Yong Maeng Jong Jin retreats begin at 4:30 AM on Saturday or Sunday. If you are coming from a distance, it is possible to enter at 8:00 AM.
Overnight Retreat Lodging
Those who live close to Cambridge Zen Center may wish to sleep at home during retreats. If you prefer to stay at the Zen center, overnight lodging is included in your retreat fee. You must arrange accommodations in advance through the online registration form.
What you'll need - and WOn't need
- Please wear comfortable and loose clothing. You may want to bring extra layers and socks in the winter months.
- If you stay overnight, please bring personal items such as toiletries, medicine, and sleepwear, etc.
- Bedding and towels are provided.
- You can bring an alarm clock but there will be somebody going around the Main House waking people up at 4.30 AM.
- You won't need your computer or any other electronic devices. Please leave your phone switched off in your room or the coat room.